SOAKING WET PANTIES

Monday, March 13, 2006

bump that chunk

Today for lunch, I had a tomato, basil and mozzarella panini and corn chowder. Homeless people crapping on buildings, mysterious fecal liquid and subway platform dumps: this was a lovely meal. However, I would like to take this opportunity to share my latest ruminations on Caff Soup:

A soup with ‘gumbo’, ‘chowder’, ‘chili’ or any other title indicating a chunky texture should, in fact, be chunky in texture. Chunky does not equal six kernels of corn and two bacon bits.

French Onion Soup should contain bread and cheese, not just onions and brown water. Similarly, Chicken Dumpling Soup should contain dumplings, not just chicken broth, carrot nubs and noodle shards.

Crab Soup should contain crab. (I mean, come on.)

Cream of Broccoli is not the same thing as Cream of Asparagus is not the same thing as Creamed Spinach, which is not even soup.

Black Bean Soup should not look and/or taste like muddy water, especially when muddy water is such a hot topic of conversation in the Staff Caff.

1 Comments:

  • At 3/15/2006 4:36 PM, Blogger alex or eric said…

    bump that chunk, indeed. i hate when they artificially thicken soup with loads of corn starch. (it's fine in chinese soups when it's super starchy, but chicken soup, it doesn't fly). i hate how my local lunch place will have 2 soup choice decisions per day that are nearly the same, i.e. on vegetable soup day, they have chicken soup, which isn't chicken soup, as it's really just the vegetable soup with pieces of chicken thrown in. i consider myself kinda laid back about things, but if i ran a soup shop, i wouldn't be hella lazy like my lunch place, here in Hollywood (America's Bollywood!). Now I'm going to use the rest of my lunch hour to google "oyster crackers" to find out if they're meant to be eaten with oysters. Damn, SWP, now all I want is to fly to New York and have some chowder at Pearl...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home